Re: TDE R14.1.2 released, new target started… [OT]

On Tue, 7 May 2024 09:59:03 -0700
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I didn't imagine there was much tracking, either, otherwise Mastodon could not
> compete successfully as the anti-X-Twitter. But when I went to their home
> page, I found that I cannot do that over a proxy, that they want javascript
> and cookies enabled, etc. So for me, that's still tracking, whether they
> actually do so themselves or not.

The default Mastodon Web interface does require Javascript to display properly,
yes, although I don't think there's technically anything that would make it
impossible to write a pure server-side site interface.  It's just that no one has,
yet.  You don't need cookies if you're just visiting and have no account, and
a couple of random instances I just prodded seemed to have no issue with my
accessing their sign-up pages through TOR, so that restriction on proxies may
be specific to floss.social again.

In the extreme case, you can always set up your *own* Mastodon instance,
which guarantees you're not going to be tracked by anyone but, well, you.

If you aren't interested in replying to Mastodon posts, though, you're probably
better off with the RSS feed Slávek suggested.

E. Liddell