Re: tde-14.1.2 and gnome3 on debian/12.5/bookworm - package conflicts

On Fri, 3 May 2024, E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:

On Fri, 03 May 2024 01:04:58 -0000
"trinitydesktop.9dio1--- via tde-users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.  Just installed update to tde 14.1.2 and working fine.  Thanks again for a wonderful desktop to use on my debian/12.5.bookworm system.

I also use some commercial packages installed over the years, and all has been great.  However, recently, I have one commercial package upgrade that is trying to claim because I use tde, I am seeing this problem (it won't run).  BTW, if I use the previous version of said package, it works fine.  Said package developer/tech support claim it works fine for him on default gnome desktop for debian/12.5.  Hence, the incentive to send in this tech support question to tde conflicts that have shown up when I install gnome-3.
[...]
BTW, my said package fails exactly the same way on gnome3 as it is doing on tde, and their tech support is still trying to help.

This sounds like a case of the supplier of the commercial software expecting a
specific version of some library and neither mentioning that nor bundling it.
The library is probably *not* related to TDE in any way.  (This happens to me
with commercial games from time to time.)

Your first step is to start the program from the command line and see what
it says.  If you're lucky, it will spit out a useful failure message.

Would it help to use `ldconfig` to see what dynamic libraries the main executable depends upon? If the main executable is a script, you may need to open it in a text editor and try to understand what binaries/libraries it tries to load and then use `ldconfig` on them.

Gianluca

E. Liddell

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/research/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.