Re: Multi-monitor layout resetting itself every logon

On Fri March 22 2024 08:50:36 bonkmaykr via tde-users wrote:
> I've got an issue where the layout and mode of my displays resets to the
> default at every login. This is despite me setting up the monitors in the
> TDE Control Center, both locally as my user and globally as root, creating
> an X config using the NVIDIA X Server Settings, and having no such issue
> previously when I was still using KDE Plasma.
>
> I'm using the latest NVIDIA proprietary drivers on EndeavourOS, with a
> 1920x1080@60hz display on DP-1 and a 3440x1440@144hz display on DP-2. The
> ultrawide 1440p display is on the right slightly above the smaller one, but
> Trinity and TDM both repeatedly place them in the opposite arrangement with
> the smaller monitor as the default, sitting on the top right corner of the
> larger one. Both displays default to 60hz at login.
>
> I've also tried enabling "Automatically apply profile on startup" and
> creating a profile, but when trying to reload it, X spits out an error
> "xrandr: cannot find mode 3440x1440". I don't get any such error when
> logging on, only when trying to load it manually from control center, which
> makes me think it's not even trying. I have not tested using xrandr
> manually from the command line.
>
> How do I get Trinity to remember my monitor layout correctly? Is this a
> known issue?

Hi Bonkmaykr,

IIRC the key to getting three monitors working happily with TDE and NVidia
was using T Menu / Settings / NVidia Xserver Settings / X Server Display
Configuration, setting things as desired, and then Save to X Configuration
File (and rebooting).  This writes some complicated and in some places
NVidia-specific config to your xorg.conf.  I suggest backing up your old
xorg.conf first.

As it happens my T Menu / Trinity Control Center / Peripherals / Display /
/ Multiple Monitors and my T Menu / System / Screen Size and Rotate / (maybe
click on it in the panel if it went there) / Configure Displays / Resolution
and Layout/ (... Administrator Mode) also know the layout.  I think they
learned it from xorg.conf but it is possible I told them myself at some point.

--Mike