Re: network issues - tdenetworkmanager

On Monday 29 January 2024 16:09:48 deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > This makes no sense, for the Devuan installation image not to find
> > networks.
>
> may be you need a firmware - read about firmware and debian - some of it
> that is not compatible with the license is not provided.
>

> BR

Well, until now I have managed to run my machine without using any non-free
software; every once in a great while, I need some firmware update, but even
there I have managed to steer clear of non-free and proprietary crap. It may
be that I will eventually have to surrender.

There is one other detail to add: which is, that I remember what you suggested
in an earlier post about installing a Linux system to a flash drive. As it
happens, I had a friend who kept pestering me about Linux, but my gut feeling
is, this won't last, then she will have installed Linux, discovers she
doesn't like it, doesn't have the patience to learn, and so regrets having
wiped out a running Windoze system.

So I thought, why not give this a try? I have installed to a flash drive
before (complete with root, swap and home partitions), and it was able to run
my desktop for at least 6 months or so. Then I decided that it was too slow
for everyday use (and it was an older desktop machine), so I installed to the
internal hard drive like usual. (The flash drive, after a few more months,
became corrupted and unusable, which is no doubt because they aren't made to
take that kind of stress.) But it was an instructive experiment.

In this case, I thought I might get some practice at doing it again, as I must
do some travelling in the future, and it would be nice to carry around a
smaller version of my own machine in my pocket, so that in a pinch I can
borrow somebody else's hardware, but still have my own machine to use, so to
speak, and meanwhile keep my laptop safely tucked away in my bags, in a
locker, wherever.

This time, after installing to the flash drive, I did experience some peculiar
issues. My hunch was that it was due to the fact of two UEFI partitions when
I booted up -- one on the flash drive, one on my machine. (When I did this
before, there the UEFI partitions were just starting to appear in newer
machines, so this was not an issue back then.) It took another few reboots
before I had problems, but then this network problem developed. I did try out
the flash drive on my machine, of course, just to be sure that it worked as
intended, but it was another couple days before I started having this network
problem (of having to start tdenetworkmanager as root).

I don't know whether my experimentation with installing to a flash drive has
anything to do with it, but it's the only other thing that I can think of.

Also, I forgot to mention, there was a full moon the other night, but that has
never before affected my network.

Bill