Re: DE comparison

On Dec 1, 2023, 6:47 AM, Felix Miata via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I only just found this. Possibly same with the rest of us? https://eylenburg.github.io/de_comparison.htm#Review

-------------------

So weird seeing CDE, an actual desktop from the 90s -- when 100 megahertz (with an "M") CPUs were considered powerful as hell, Unix was far more prevalent in workstations, and Linux was just some weird hobbyist project by some Finnish university student -- using more RAM than any of the lightweight DEs, Trinity included.

I get why, though. Rewriting legacy code from -- at the time -- nearly 20 years ago for 64-bit systems and optimizing it all accordingly is a hard ask, even as a preservation effort from an era when skeuomorphism was being dragged out kicking and screaming.

And I'm saying that as someone on the outside looking in. It's just weird -- surreal, even -- to see. But, I digress. xD

- hunter graham