Re: New MX-Linux with TDE ISO

On Wednesday 22 November 2023 09:52:26 jacobheinrich--- via tde-users wrote:
> Hey, thanks for your insight. Im sorry if I came across as confrontational.
> I honestly don't use an Office Suite much, so to hear your perspective
> helps.
>
> Some bad news though, I have lost my automated Debian script, which is a
> shame, it even had TUI menus and everything. But now I have a pretty solid
> Arch install with TDE, LibreOffice, Steam, Discord, Firefox, Nvidia drivers
> (I hate these darn things so much btw.... this is for my first and last
> NVidia laptop lol). Im just working on finding a way to DPI scale the
> screen nicely. However, once this install is set up exactly how I like it,
> I will remake the script, but better!

No, I didn't take your words as confrontational; I hope you didn't take me
that way, either. We all have our preferences, and use whatever tools work
best for us.

I do wish that LibreOffice and OpenOffice could somehow patch up their
differences and agree to collaborate. I don't know the whole story there, but
it is apparent that the two communities are at odds. And I can see, from the
perspective of a developer, or somebody close enough to the devs, how the
LibreOffice community might feel slighted. If they are doing the actual work,
while OpenOffice benefits from that work without acknowledging it, then
things do look out of balance.

When I joined the OpenOffice mailing list, I thought that I might learn what's
really going on, so that it might help me it getting it to run properly on my
system. But frankly, their mailing list reads like it is written by ghosts,
zombies or bots. Honestly, it seems like nothing is happening there. I read
their posts, but they make no sense.

By comparison, the TDE mailing list is reads like transcripts of a group of
gossipy old women, down by the stream with their tubs and washboards and
scrub brushes.

Be that as it may, and despite what is fair or right: OpenOffice actually
still *works* for me; LibreOffice doesn't.

Bill