Re: TDE does not open

On Friday 10 November 2023 14.26:04 Ken Heard via tde-users wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  Both commands df and df -i showed no partition or
> directory anywhare near 100% full.

This is pure guesswork based on previous experiences:

a) Do you install "the Windows Way", I mean on a single partition?
b) You write that you installed several applications. Did you encouter any
install failures?

I you can, try to look at the size of the files in yout home directory, there
might be a file like "xerrors" or so taking all the space.

I had that long time ago: an install goes wrong. Linux writes the error
protocol to a file, then tries the install again, it fails, etc.., and the
error file grows. At some point the system crashes or you shut it down. Then,
at the next start, the system does not find enough space to create its log
file and can't start a graphical system.

If so, the only solution is either to find and delete that giant file at the
command line, or to start from a live system and do the same.

That's why I always install with a separate home partition AND setup TDE to
allow root login: such error logs are written to home, and as root's "home"
is not on the home partition, you can cure teh problem from root.

Thierry