Re: ImageMagick import freezes keyboard I/O in opensuse 15.4

On Tue, 31 Oct 2023, Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users wrote:

Hi Bill,

On Tue, 31 Oct 2023, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

On Tuesday 31 October 2023 13:15:49 Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users wrote:

The situation with my installation of openSUSE Leap 15.4 is that whenever
the mouse is in capture mode, the keyboard I/O is frozen so that I cannot
switch desktop or change windows. By allowing a delay in region capture
mode I would be able to switch desktops before the mouse enters capture
mode. I have submitted the issue about the keyboard freezing to the
openSUSE forums and I have to hear back yet. I am not sure whether this
issue persists also in Leap 15.5. I wonder whether other distributions
experience this, too.

Best,

    Gianluca

I am not sure of how you need to use ksnapshot or other applications, but I
think that it is possible to use it in the same window or desktop in which
you are taking a screenshot.

Maybe I am totally off here, but I will give it a try, anyway. When you click
on ksnapshot, go to the top of the application window, right-click, then
choose Advanced, then Special Application Settings, or maybe sometimes
Special Window Settings. The choose Desktop, then Force, and you can set an
application to open only in its special window, or to stay open on all
desktops.

This will work for any TDE application, so far as I know, and maybe also
non-TDE apps when running within TDE.

Perhaps I misunderstand your needs, and how you use these applications to make
screenshots, but this seems like it ought to work.

This certainly works, too and it is my workaround for now. We were discussing the delay as an alternative method.

Having the delay would make the process faster since I could simply set 4 sec, during which I have time to for example press Ctrl+<F4> to switch desktop and then take the snapshot of the region of interest.

Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.