Re: I want my boxdrawing characters [OT]

On 2023-08-17 01:47:25 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> It's an encoding problem. Try this:
>
> $ LANG=C tree /tmp/
> $ LANG=LANG=de_AT.UTF-8 tree /tmp/
>
> The last command gives fine ascii art on UTF-8 terminals, but "funny"
> result on ISO... consoles.
>
> Same happens for other commands.
>
> Nik
>
> Anno domini 2023 Wed, 16 Aug 23:44:29 -0400
>
>  Felix Miata via tde-users scripsit:
> > (It seems like this problem only just arose in the weeks since the middle
> > of June, maybe more recently, but at least a month ago.)
> >
> > I often find them replaced by other characters, as in the attachment. The
> > SS is from Tumbleweed, but it happens also in Leap, and also in KDE3's
> > Konsole. Is this an absence of some specific font? If not, what needs to
> > be differently configured for Konsole to always use boxdraw characters
> > when an app or utility is supposed to be using them when used in Konsole?
> >
> > What follows is all from one multiboot PC:
> >
> > # grep RETT /etc/os-release
> > PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
> > # wpctl status
> > PipeWire 'pipewire-0' [0.3.75, root@ab250, cookie:1948030365]
> >  ââ Clients:
> >         31. WirePlumber                         [0.3.75, root@ab250,
[snip]

	I often see stuff like this in emails.  I suspect that they have been
composed on Windows, which uses code pages instead of UTF-8.  kmail has
settings in Configure => Appearance, Message Window, but I'm afraid to tinker
with them; the kmail handbook has no entries for Message List or Message
Window.

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux