Re: tdelauncher DCOPserver, again

On Wednesday 09 August 2023 09:14:07 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 August 2023 23:55:31 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 August 2023 21:18:54 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> > > Change the owner of "/run/user/1000/ICEauthorithy" now doesn't resolve
> > > the message  "Can't communicate with TDElauncher via DCOP".
> > > On my 3 computers, small laptop, 2 computers on Debian-12,
> > > everything works fine, and not on my recent Lenovo laptop.
> > > It appears after 3 minutes after the TDM boot.
> > > I don't know what to do to repair, do Slavek can help me...
> >
> > Ah ha. I got that message, but it was a long long time ago, and I cannot
> > recall exactly how I got round it. It seems to me that it had something
> > to do with dmrc. I will look through my notes to see if I kept anything
> > on this matter :
>
> Hello William,
>
> Can you tell me where is the file ".dmrc" :
> /home/<user> ?
It could be that I mean .tdmrc, but I seem to remember .dmrc, which I believe
might be a clue to the source of the problem.

> In "/run/user/1000", there is this a strange directory :
> d????????? ? ?       ?         ?              ? doc
> It's impossible do delete it.

Something in what you write here reminds me of a bug we had a few years ago
(maybe 5 years ago or more?). I thought maybe it was that xdg-update problem
that many of us experienced back then, but I just did a search of the mailing
list archives, and cannot find anything that matches.

I must call on others to jump in here, if they remember. If I find out more, I
will post again. However, I believe that .dmrc is connected to that earlier
bug, something with xdg-update in the header.

> > Just out of curiosity, do you enable root password in Debian? If it is a
> > machine for a single user, I just enable shadow passwords, but do not
> > create a root password, as that is just a headache for a single user.
>
> login in root with password with the system,
> or  login in root with tdm ?
>
> André

Others might advise you differently, but I would say that if you are the only
user on your machine, then to create a root user only makes it unnecessarily
hard for you to do many simple tasks. Just enable shadow passwords, but do
not create a root password when installing Debian or Devuan or one of their
variant distros. You will save yourself a lot of grief.

There may be other factors that affect how you decide; not only whether there
are other users on your machine, but also if you work in an environment where
you worry about other people getting into your machine, or having your
machine stolen, and so on.

Things keep changing, though, and we can all better, more secure habits.

Bill