Safe to remove program icons on Trinity Desktop without removing the apps themselves?

I'm brand new to Linux and just installed the Trinity desktop with Q4OS on a older pc.  One thing I am unclear about- are the shortcut icons on the Trinity desktop that came with my distro installation for example, LibreOffice or Thunderbird able to be deleted or removed from the desktop without removing the apps themselves just like on a Windows desktop where the icons are just shortcuts and can be deleted safely without removing the apps themselves?