Re: Lock Session fails

On Friday 05 May 2023 12:27:42 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> On 2023/05/04 04:00 AM, Michael via tde-users wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Most of the time Lock Session works.  But once it fails even manually
> > running the command:
> >
> > dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock
> >
> > does nothing.  And then I have to logout and log back in for it to work
> > again.
> >
> > xsession-errors shows no errors.  Both
> >
> > dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface isEnabled
> > dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface isBlanked
> >
> > return 'true.'  If I understand it right they should both show false when
> > the session is not locked?
> >
> > Anyone know how to use dcop to reset Lock Session so it works again?
>
> hi Michael,
> probably killing kdesktop and kdesktop_lock and relaunching them will put
> the state back to "not blanked". Nevertheless the fact that the lock fails
> and isBlanked returns true, let me think that something goes wrong when the
> screensaver kicks in. Have you tried using a different screensaver and see
> if the same problem happen?

Hi Michele (&dep),

It's not that easy to break, but trying to lock the screen in a desktop where
Oracle VB is running will eventually do it.  So, it's something with an app
interfering with kdesktop_lock, not something wrong, per se, with
kdesktop_lock. (imo)

Playing with it, I've found just killing kdesktop_lock

/usr/bin/pkill kdesktop_lock

causes the screen to lock.  No matter what state isBlanked is in.

I can code with that, but is that normal?

Thanks much for the pointer to kdesktop, this has been nagging me for the last
5 or 6 years.  I’m also copying at end my new ‘goodnight’ script for anyone
who cares or uses what I’ve posted in the past.

Best Regards,
Michael

PS:
michael@local [~/data/trash]# dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface isEnabled
true
michael@local [~/data/trash]# dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface isBlanked
false

Not a biggie, but I’m also somewhat curious why they are returning text values
instead of 0 and 1?

# # # # # # # # # # # #

#!/bin/bash
####
# Goodnight script to lock and blank the monitor.
# Generally attached to a button in the taskbar / panel.
####

isBlanked=`dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface isBlanked`

if [ "$isBlanked" = 'true' ] ; then
  /usr/bin/pkill kdesktop_lock
else
  dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock