Re: TDE mailing list - email addresses

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 23:00:45 -0500
Darrell Anderson via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> TDE is just about the only desktop environment that does not have an
> online forum. Reddit and Discourse forums are popular in many Linux
> distro circles. Many have both Reddit and Discourse forums. Reddit often
> has a bad reputation but my experience (many years) is the computer and
> professional forums are well moderated.

I have no objection to a forum, but I *do* object to both Reddit and
Discourse.

Reddit is a third-party website over which we have no control.  If they
decide to pull the plug, everything goes poof, and they have the ability
to tamper with posts (I'm aware that currently they don't do that, but
the current owners could easily sell out).  Plus I'm pretty sure that setting
up an account would require us to give *them* an email, and I don't
trust them not to sell their lists.

Discourse has a bad habit of chasing the newest and shiniest in browser
tech.  Never mind Konqueror, I had recent issues with a Discourse forum
(still not completely resolved) in Pale Moon, which is an
actively-maintained browser.  Using older or alternative software isn't
unusual here, so Discourse  is inappropriate for the potential audience.

If we wanted to self-host an instance of phpBB or Simple Machines or
something, that might work, but I don't know what the maintenance
requirements would be.  We don't want to dump more extra work on
Slávek.

E. Liddell