Re: Keyring madness

On Wednesday 29 March 2023 17:12:02 you wrote:
> | Any changes in Kmail, account settings, port settings, whatever, and you
> | will be asked for your tdewallet password. And, as I said before, this
> | ought to be different from your other passwords, whether user password,
> | admin password, or whatever.
>
> My mail setup is unusual. I'm using ProtonMail via the ProtonMail Bridge,
> which is an encryption layer that lives on my machine and encrypts
> everything before it leaves the computer. I don't know if anyone else is
> using it with KMail; I know that no one was when I set it up initially and
> even now, a couple years later, the bridge application is not officially
> supported on Linux on anything other than Thunderbird. And it has a chain
> of passwords that are not understood by TDE. And a different password
> manager is needed for other stuff (though a good TDE front end for KeePass
> would be a useful thing; more useful, I think, than some obscure wallet
> thing).

Yes, you are probably better served by your own setup. And one of these days I
need to set myself to do some proper email encryption. But I believe I tried
ProtonMail, and found it to be cumbersome. (I seem to recall that Nik offered
to give us all a lesson in this matter...? although I tend to do things on my
own time, so maybe before I die I will get all my stuff straight.)

Anyway, so you don't need the tdewallet for that. But still (I believe) you
ought to use it to protect your Kmail against changes in your configuration
settings. I don't know quite how ProtonMail interacts with Kmail, though, so
maybe others know better.

My gut instinct, though, is to say that you ought to hang onto that tdewallet.
I suppose you could always uninstall it, see what happens, then reinstall if
something gets messed up.

Bill