Re: Kinda on topic

said Marvin Jones via tde-users:

| I have my original OS/2 2.1 kit at hand.  It contains 46 3.5" floppy
| disks.  About half were for the operating system, and the other half
| seem to contain device drivers, etc.

Funny, I still have, in boxes with all the stockers and even the little
microphone/headset, all of the versions of OS/2 from 2.0 on. When OS/2
3.0 -- the first version called "Warp," because everyone involved in OS/2
development and testing, in Boca and in Westchester, were Star Trek
fans -- they had a big rollout in New York City and those of us who were
reporters got our copies in really nice black Lands End-style canvas
briefcases that had a big OS/2 logo on the side. I still have mine -- it's
a really good briefcase. Later, when I was writing for Linux Planet, I'd
carry it to events like Linux World Expo to collect literature and swag,
where Michael Hall would call it "DEP's bag of broken dreams."

(I was very lucky: I lived in Westchester and was a member of the
Westchester OS/2 user group. Which meant we were on first-name terms with
Lee Reiswig and the like, got first access to -- everything; Corel sent a
rep to demonstrate and hand out copies of the excellent and then very
expensive Corel Draw! for OS/2 -- a kinda miserable Mirrors port, but it
worked; and we even held bif OS/2 birthday parties in the big hall of the
best local hotel, with IBM and TeamOS/2 picking up part of the tab. It was
great!)
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album