Re: Kinda on topic

said Thierry de Coulon via tde-users:

| How many floppies were there for OS/2 2.x?

It depended. About 25, I think, but a dozen more if you also had IBM's
Voice-Type Dictation. (Which was a monster in and of itself. Had to be
trained. I know of people who got it to work, but I never did.)

| > Though
| > he didn't get into editing Xf86config, which was half the . . . fun.)
|
| That's where my first Linux experience ended. I'd just got my first 17"
| Screen and would not take the risk of destroying it.

Those were the wild west days. I'd burn a new kernel whenever one came out,
which almost always required upgrading some package or another, and on
RPM-based systems you didn't know which ones very easily. I'll never
forget the time I tried up upgrade GCC. It ultimately worked out, but it
was a hair-raising couple of days. The good test to see if I had
everything working properly was to compile the latest XFree86, which took
a very long time. And there was a long period during 1.x and 2.x when some
of us, me included, would compile a whole new version of KDE every few
days. One of my little jobs was to make sure everything worked on a Cyrix
equivalent of a 486-233, because I had one and we weren't entirely sure
just how Intel compatible they were. (configure --prefix /opt/kde)

More fun then than it would be now, I think.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/