Non-profit factoids

On Wednesday 22 March 2023 09:20:46 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> We have some ideas and plans for the non-profit, just need to have a final
> round of discussions and then if we are in agreement, we need to set out to
> do it, which is the hardest part :-)

Starting a new thread to list the costs and special restrictions of
non-profits by location.

Note:  If the dev’s already have a set in stone plan, then this thread is
pointless, but, otherwise, it’ll be a good source of information for the
final decision.

I’ll start with what I remember from the last go-around about the USA and
Canada (links are in the old thread).  I’m using the term ‘Federal’ for
national level government and approximations in USDs.  Let’s try to keep this
just a list of facts and relevant notes.  Do include links to sources if you
have them.

# # #

USA
Legal Setup:  250 - 1,000
Federal Tax Registration[IRS]:  1,500
Local Tax Registration:  Varies by State/County
Govt per year fees:
Cost of yearly tax preparation:
Notes:
 - Easy for individuals to transfer received funds to.

Canada
Legal Setup:
Federal Tax Registration[???]:
Local Tax Registration:
Govt per Year fees:
Cost of tax preparation:
Notes:
 - Registrations are free under specific conditions.
 - Can get the USA IRS Tax Registration fee waived.