Re: libkgtk2.so?

said Thierry de Coulon via tde-users:

| On Sunday 19 March 2023 05.02:16 dep via tde-users wrote:
| > Between the parsimonious
| > default packages in Debian -- "locate" is not installed by default
|
| Yeah, that's what I like :)
| I don't use sudo

Problem with that is that you need then to do things such as "xhost +
localhost" if you want to su and run anything graphical, and so on. I
find "locate" useful. And to revive "shutdown," which yeah, I know, is now
a symlink anyway, you have to make a symlink. It's a little like needing
to go downstairs and fire up the boiler to get hot water, when for a long
while it just came when you turn on the faucet. In short, there's a
missing document: "Things you're probably used to, how to regain them, and
why we left them out."

Not really complaining: after the Trisquel -- I want to write Trisquet --
encounter, Debian seems positively libertine: during the install it
flashed the "sorry, but we're going to use a non-free wifi driver" and
then just did it. The Debian install was the easiest installation from
scratch I've ever done.

| But I seem to remember a Debian installer that asked if I wanted to
| install it.

The installation DVD image listed a half-dozen installers; I picked the
graphical one just to see what horrors a Debian graphical installer might
bring. There were only a couple of places where the answer wouldn't have
been evident to a seven-year-old and the only critical one was in disk
partitioning, which defaults to one partition for the whole thing. (There
were a couple of slightly obscure ones as well, but nothing where the
defaults were likely to break anything. I did opt in to the phone-home
popularity contest, because I figure it's good they know that people are
putting TDE on Debian.) But there was no place where I was given a choice
of packages to install.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album