Re: more elementary questions

said Michael via tde-users:
| On Friday 17 March 2023 02:05:10 pm dep via tde-users wrote:
| > greets again . . .
| >
| > my laptop test case for debian continues. my goal today is to make my
| > TDE -- menus, apps, panel, desktop, etc. -- as close as i can to my
| > desktop machine. i could do this by hand, which would take a day or
| > two, or perhaps by copying my configuration from the desktop to the
| > notebook via something like a usb drive.
| >
| > what i do not know is what configurations to copy. the whole .config
| > directory seems a little drastic, and i do not know that it would do
| > the job. would .trinity do it?
|
| Yeah, you could copy over .trinity, but you'd normally do that before
| loging in to a user the first time.
|
| It's actually probably faster to just:
|
| 1) re-install debian
| ^ (with a dummy user if it forces you to create one during the install)
| 2) copy the entire /home/{username} from your desktop
| 3) create {username} with the same name/group (and UID/GID) as the
| desktop 4) re-install TDE
|
| You can change the order as long as you don't login with the {username}
| before copying /home...
|
| Well, or, you can just delete {username} on the laptop and then do 2)
| and 3), which is faster still...

Um, well, I can think of a couple thousand reasons not to do it that way,
the first being the problem in copying a 6-tb partition to a 950-gb
partition. (I don't think there's stacker for linux.)

It's relatively easy to log out then log back in to a prompt, both from the
window manager and from alt-ctrl-f1, so the existence of the user already
ought to be a trivial issue, no? And if I write over some of the newly
installed configurations, well, that's the whole purpose of the exercise.

Instead, I'm trying to bring over my TDE desktop configuration: KMenu and
its contents, arranged as I have them arranged; the bottom panel with its
contents and configurations; various TDE applications, such as kmail, with
its configurations; and so on. I don't need to bring over a pile of data,
pictures, and so on.

So I'm trying to find out where those things are stored on my desktop
machine, so that I can copy them to the notebook machine. Are they
in /.trinity? Or are they spread around?
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/