Re: Missing GTK option in Trinity Control Center (Arch)

On Wednesday 01 February 2023 01:38:13 Wirlaburla via tde-users wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been missing the GTK appearance options in the Trinity Control
> Center since R14.0.13, and I haven't a clue why. To be honest, I haven't
> really dug super deep into debugging, but nothing obvious seems to pop
> up. It's just missing, and kcontrol doesn't even complain about it.
>
> Pacman shows I have the gtk engines installed:
>      $ pacman -Q | grep tde-gtk
>      tde-gtk-qt-engine 14.0.13-2
>      tde-gtk3-tqt-engine 14.0.13-1
>
> Building the packages myself didn't work and I have tried this on a
> fresh install to no avail. I know it should exist, as I have a raspberry
> pi running Arch ARM that has the option there clear as day (Thanks for
> the ARM builds by the way).
>
> Perhaps a bad package? I'd appreciate any help.

Not sure if *this* is what you mean, but I'll throw it out there, just in
case.

Search for this subject line (or variants thereof), and you might find what
you are looking for:
how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps? SOLVED
(from about January 2021 or so ...)

We keep rehashing that question under different heading, so the same question
resurfaces again and again, but there seems to be no avoiding it.

Basically, you want to install lxappearance, qt5ct qt5-assistant, and whatever
dependencies are required.

As I said, I'm not sure from your words if this is what you're looking for,
but it sounded similar. It would be nice to get this information organized
and put on one of the TDE help pages.

Bill

P.S. To same you a little time, the gist of it is contained in this quotation:
#################
I stumbled on a site:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/706528/qt-apps-stopped-inheriting-gtk-themes/748186#748186
https://web.archive.org/web/20201111174652/https://askubuntu.com/questions/706528/qt-apps-stopped-inheriting-gtk-themes/748186#748186
wherein are unlocked the mysteries of qt5ct in a single line.

*NOTE that other pages gave information which was either contradictory or at
least unclear, leaving me frustrated and unable to figure out where
in /home/<USER>/.profile to insert the line for qt. So for other Trinity
users out there who may want to use the look of their TDE and color outside
the lines when using non-TDE apps, this is what actually worked for me.*

After installing qt5ct and whatever other packages (more for developers), run
this command:
sudo sh -c "echo 'export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2' >> /etc/environment"

Open qt5ct and choose according to personal preferences, then reboot. The user
will now have TDE colors and themes in non-TDE applications. It will also run
gtk2 and gtk3, and lots of other good stuff. It seems like it will work for
other desktops, as well, as others say.

For most users, this will probably take care of their needs.