Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

On Friday 09 December 2022 07.45:36 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> If "somebody" has the resources to mantain it, yes. At least it'd be a good
> try :)

>I have no reason to oppose, but I won't be there. I tried Mastodon and could
>not understand how that works - and I don't use my phone for messenging as
>far as I can.
>
>Thierry

I have never used Twitter. However, I do sometimes cheat and use nitter.org,
just to read what somebody posted, if it actually gets my attention.

Twitter never seemed worth the time, effort, or emotional investment, to
participate. I doubt Mastodon can be much better. Life is short.

And yet there are people who do use it, so it must be worthwhile to somebody
out there.

My question is, Why not just have our cake and eat it, too?

If we establish "an official communication channel for our project on
Mastodon" (quoting Slavek), does that mean that we must choose between them -
one or the other? Are they mutually exclusive?

We could have, say, an "unoffical communication channel" on Twitter; maybe not
the devs themselves, but there are lots of TDE users out there, and they
could take the message to the people on Twitter, the good news that there
really is a Linux desktop that is actually worth using.

Bill