Re: kmail and OAUth

Anno domini 2022 Thu, 6 Oct 20:31:47 +0200
 Thierry de Coulon scripsit:
> Hello all,
>
> My school uses Office 365, also for mail. I used to be able to get my mail
> using imap and be able to answer these mails using Office's smtp.
>
> Now they activated two factor authentication and kmail can't access anymore. I
> had to remove this imap access as it tended to block kmail (that was waiting
> for me to act on it's error message).
>
> I've solved the problem of receiving the mail (which is the most important) by
> simply forwarding to my usual account (which is linked to my website).
>
> However, I have to log in m$ stuff (online) to answer because Oulook refuses
> mails from my private mail server.
>
> It looks like they use something named OAuth and this does not appear to exist
> in TDE's kmail. Does someone know if it's possible to tweak settings so as to
> communicate with OAuth?

IMO no. OAuth is broken beyond repair, nobody (besides M$) uses it.

> I can try to ask our IT people but they usually simply answer that Linux is
> not supported and I should run Windows...

Somebody turned OAuth on, somebody can turn it off. But this somebody is not your IT peaople - they won't turn it off 'cause they can't and don't dare to admit it. So either use M$ or don't use the provided email at all - which is how a noticable amount of teachers handle the "free" service of M$ Teams here.

Nik