Re: Trouble Installing TDE in Devuan Chimaera

On Sunday 11 September 2022 23:57:44 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

> +1 Don't ever mix devuan with debian - ok, you can if you feel bored and
> need a challenging day and playing with nukes does not fit the bill.

You don't want to let us have any fun at all. I think it was you who told me
not to direct the laser pointer into my good eye.

I agree, of course, about not mixing Debian and Devuan. I was referring to
third-party repositories. You will find that nearly all offer packages made
for Debian, not Devuan. (TDE is just such a third-party repository; also,
examples from my sources.list: vivaldi, signal, seamonkey, gnu.org,
firstlookmedia, vivaldi, videolan, and Apache Open Office.) In those cases,
Debian packages work just fine, at least for me; they don't make Devuan
packages. But as for getting packages from the official Debian or Devuan
repositories: definitely NO.

> On a sidenote, I'd replace "chimera" with "daedalus". My
> /etc/apt/sourcec.list is like this:

Is daedalus a LTR? I think maybe that's partly why Leslie chose chimaera (just
guessing). It's in the middle of the pack of stable releases with long-term
support, not close to retirement, not brand-new and unstable.

> deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity-testing daedalus deps
> extra main deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged daedalus main contrib
> non-free
>

> If you wonder which devuan repostitories exist, take alook here:
> http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged/dists/

This link is very useful. Thanks, Nik!