Re: Trouble Installing TDE in Devuan Chimaera

On Sunday 11 September 2022 20:54:41 J Leslie Turriff wrote:

> > | http://deb.devuan.org/merged
> > | http://pkgmanager.devuan.org/merged

> > | https://deb.devuan.org/merged
> > | https://pkgmanager.devuan.org/merged
> >
> > got me further, but the first one gets a bad certificate error (that it
> > tells me will be valid in 6min 36secs).
> > ��������Aaaand...eight minutes later it says it will be valid in
> > 3h 58min 18s. �I'll try substituting debian for devuan...
> > The deb repository is what provides the base OS binaries, right? �If so,
> > there's no way to install or upgrade the OS on the machine until I get it
> > working?
> >
> > Leslie
>
> 	But it turns out that deb.debian.org/debian/ doesn't have a merge/
> subdirectory, only
>
> | debian/
> | debian-debug/
> | debian-ports/
> | debian-security/
>
> so I have no idea what to use instead.  The Debian Administrator's Handbook
> has no information about repository tree structures.
> 	And pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged still has a bad certificate, and there is
> no pkgmaster.debian.org.
> 	Having exhausted these possibilities, I tried your apt-get -o Acquire::...
> method, but that failed, too.  See attached.
>
> Leslie

For the official Debian or Devuan repositories (whatever one's choice to
install), do not mix packages. Choose one or the other, then (since you're
picking Devuan) choose Devuan repositories.

I tend to use pkgmaster repos; I forget why, but you see that I have both
here, just commented out the devuan.org lines.

Most Debian packages (I hear) are, or used to be, interchangeable with Devuan;
originally only those that were connected with systemd were different, but
I've heard that it's best not to mix them.

For TDE repositories (and probably for other special repos, too, desktops or
multimedia, etc.) it does not matter, as far as I know. Those are mostly
interchangeable, I think, at least for TDE. But Slavek and others will know;
I am just repeating what I've heard.

Here are my lines for the Devuan repositories:
# deb cdrom:[Devuan GNU/Linux 3.0 (chimaera) i386 - netinstall 20200526]/
chimaera main contrib non-free

#deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera main
#deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-updates main
#deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main

#deb http://deb.devuan.org/devuan experimental main
#deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/devuan experimental main

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera main
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera main

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main

# chimaera-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-updates main
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-updates main

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-backports main
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-backports main