Re: Trouble Installing TDE in Devuan Chimaera

On 2022-09-11 19:53:24 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Sunday 11 September 2022 17:00:52 J Leslie Turriff wrote:
> > 	I have acquired a used HP Probook 440 G5, on which I have installed
> > Devuan Chimaera.  The Chimaera installer balked at adding
> >
> > | deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main contrib
> > | non-free deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security
> > | main contrib non-free
> >
> > which continue to fail to work after the install completed; I'm not sure
> > just what they provide and if they are really necessary; I couldn't find
> > any useful information about them in a web search.
> > 	Perhaps these need to be working before installing Trinity?  I followed
> > the install instructions in the Trinity Wiki page
> > <https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Devuan_Trinity_Repository_Installation_I
> >ns tructions>, but
> >
> > | apt-get update
> >
> > fails with 'E: The repository ... does not have a Release file.' (see
> > attached command output, etc.).
> > 	Since all of my experience with Linux has been with openSUSE and RedHat,
> > I'm not sure what to do to resolve these issues.  Help!? :-)
> >
> > Leslie
> > --
> >    Operating System: Linux
> > Desktop Environment: Trinity
> >                  Qt: 3.5.0
> >                 TDE: R14.0.12
> >          tde-config: 1.0
>
> You might need to add or update the keyring for Trinity.
	I didn't include that step in the output above because it worked correctly, creating
| trinity-keyring.deb
in root's directory.

> Otherwise, if this is only a problem getting your machine to recognize these repos, then
you can do this:

> # Trinity - TDE - ### Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories
> # sudo torify apt-get -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true update
> # sudo apt-get -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true update
	I guess the ### should be separate lines? and this might correct the '... does not have a
Release file.'?

> (copied from my own sources list)
> torify = only if you do everything over Tor
>
> This is not a permanent solution, by any means, and I'm not sure if that's
> your problem. In any case, security-minded persons will probably raise a
> ruckus and tell you NOT TO DO THIS!!!!!! They will also tell you not to run
> with scissors, and not to direct the laser point into your remaining good
> eye. But if you just need to get started, try that, as a temporary fix.
	Okay, I'll give it a try.

> Bill
>

> P.S. I changed my TDE repositories to Debian names rather than Devnuan,
> because for TDE itself I don't think it matters; I think references to
> Devuan packages in the Trinity repos just redirect to give you Debian
> packages. For the most part, Debian and Devuan are identical; just not when
> you are actually installing from the non-TDE Debian or Devuan repositories.
> Then you must choose correctly. But TDE might work better if you specify
> Debian instead.
	I guess this is just a matter of changing .devuan.org to .debian.org in the offending
lines?  (Sorry; this is my first time experience with non-RPM based Linux.)

Leslie
--
Operating System:	Linux
Distribution:		openSUSE Leap 15.4 x86_64