Re: Trouble Installing TDE in Devuan Chimaera

On Sunday 11 September 2022 17:00:52 J Leslie Turriff wrote:
> 	I have acquired a used HP Probook 440 G5, on which I have installed Devuan
> Chimaera.  The Chimaera installer balked at adding
>
> | deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main contrib
> | non-free deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security
> | main contrib non-free
>
> which continue to fail to work after the install completed; I'm not sure
> just what they provide and if they are really necessary; I couldn't find
> any useful information about them in a web search.
> 	Perhaps these need to be working before installing Trinity?  I followed
> the install instructions in the Trinity Wiki page
> <https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Devuan_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Ins
>tructions>, but
>
> | apt-get update
>
> fails with 'E: The repository ... does not have a Release file.' (see
> attached command output, etc.).
> 	Since all of my experience with Linux has been with openSUSE and RedHat,
> I'm not sure what to do to resolve these issues.  Help!? :-)
>
> Leslie
> --
>    Operating System: Linux
> Desktop Environment: Trinity
>                  Qt: 3.5.0
>                 TDE: R14.0.12
>          tde-config: 1.0

You might need to add or update the keyring for Trinity. Otherwise, if this is
only a problem getting your machine to recognize these repos, then you can do
this:

# Trinity - TDE - ### Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories
# sudo torify apt-get -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true update
# sudo apt-get -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true update

(copied from my own sources list)
torify = only if you do everything over Tor

This is not a permanent solution, by any means, and I'm not sure if that's
your problem. In any case, security-minded persons will probably raise a
ruckus and tell you NOT TO DO THIS!!!!!! They will also tell you not to run
with scissors, and not to direct the laser point into your remaining good
eye. But if you just need to get started, try that, as a temporary fix.

Bill

P.S. I changed my TDE repositories to Debian names rather than Devnuan,
because for TDE itself I don't think it matters; I think references to Devuan
packages in the Trinity repos just redirect to give you Debian packages. For
the most part, Debian and Devuan are identical; just not when you are
actually installing from the non-TDE Debian or Devuan repositories. Then you
must choose correctly. But TDE might work better if you specify Debian
instead.