Re: gvim with GTK3 in OpenSUSE 15.3

On Thu, 8 Sep 2022, Jim wrote:

Hi Gianluca,

See below.

On Thu, Sep  8, 2022 at 15:05 (-0700), Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

The other issue I'm having with OpenSUSE 15.3 is that xdvi no longer
displays figures in a .dvi document (.dvi is the result of compiling a .tex
document).

?

Do you mean xdvi does not work at all?  Or that some content (text?)
is displayed and not other (image?) content?  If so, can you attach a
concrete example to your next message?

Text is displayed correctly. However, images are not shown, just a white area where the image would be. I attach an example here.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your openSUSE ?

Why do you think so? I don't have any other issues besides xdvi not showing images and gvim being slow.

Gianluca

I can use okular to display the .dvi document, but I miss how fast xdvi is.

It is fast, no doubt.

Can emacs also display .dvi documents?  Are there any other fast
viewers for .dvi documents?

I don't recall ever having seen anything to display .dvi files in
emacs, so I just took a quick look.  There are some packages that
convert .dvi files to .png files and display those, but I doubt that
you would find that faster than okular.  On my system okular seems
pretty fast (I looked at
.../texlive/2021/texmf-dist/source/fontinst/base/fisource.dvi which is
224 pages and there was no laggyness I could detect, okular seemed
more or less as fast as xdvi).

Perhaps there is something wrong with your openSUSE ?

Cheers.
                               Jim

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.