Re: Libre Office [WAS: Most stable platform to run Trinity on?]

On Saturday 03 September 2022 11:39:18 dep wrote:
> said Marvin Jones via tde-users:
> | >
> | >And truth be known, ApplixWare was non-awful.
> |
> | I still have a working copy of WordStar 6.0 on my linux workstation.
>
> I have the CDs, etc., for WordPerfect/Linux, which never didn't suck. OTOH,
> I have installed on this very machine Word 6/DOS and Textra/DOS. (There is
> a non-stunt reason: occasionally I happen upon old files written in those,
> and I need to export 'em to RTF to make 'em readable. Though both of them
> were excellent word crunchers. Wish there were a decent Linux text-based
> word processor. And no, EMACS does not fit the bill. EMACS was developed
> so basement dwellers could write love notes to the girlfriends they would
> never have. Today's incels think they're something new. Ah. but I
> digress . . .)
> --
> dep

I don't recall that WordPerfect was so terrible; but then, I wasn't running
Linux back then. I believe that was on a Commodore Amiga 64, and also on an
old Mac Classic II (with 80 mb hard drive!). But also, I was just using it as
a fancy typewriter, basic writing and editing, made easier by tools like cut
and copy-paste, etc.

My brief stint with M$ Windows got me acquainted with Word, and that's when I
learned that nowadays we can "buy" something (like a word processing program)
but not really "own" it, not like owning an actual book, but that I had in
fact purchased a five-year license to use that software. That, and other
similar experiences, led me to Linux.

Nowadays I do much more layout, to create print-ready pdfs; the idea being to
be able to turn my manuscript(s) directly into a book, or at least to provide
a sample of how I would like it to look. I could never do that kind of thing,
I imagine, with WordStar and those old programs, but I do miss the
simplicity. And if they were somehow brought more up-to-date with modern word
processors like LibreOffice, that sounds like a nice dream, but I doubt that
we'll see anything like it. I think reforming OpenOffice and/or LibreOffice
are probably more realistic and achievable; or at least we can hope for
another fork from one of them.

Bill