Re: Spell checking issue

On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 01:12:13PM -0600, Marvin Jones via tde-users wrote:

> Confused I am.  Some of that is probably of my own making.
>
> I know I have a mis-spelled word in "a" spellchecker.
[...]
> Well, I've noticed that the spell checker in kwrite is happy
> with the spelling "everyting".
>
> nano is unhappy with the spelling "everyting", as it should be.

Some spell checker algorithms are probabilistic and can give false
positives. That is, they can wrongly conclude that a word is in the
dictionary (i.e. correctly spelled) even when it isn't.

I'm thinking specifically of Bloom filters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_filter

It is possible that *if* kwrite uses a Bloom filter, or another
probabilistic algorithm, that "everyting" is a false positive and there
is nothing you can do about it.

> The only user spellchecker files I can find in $HOME/ are:
> .aspell.en.pws
> .aspell.en.prepl
> There are no .ispell* files in $HOME/
>
> There's no "everyting" in .aspell.en.pws - as confirmed by nano.

You should also check the ispell and aspell global dictionary files,
just in case. No harm in also checking your word list file, often found
at /usr/share/dict/words.

--
Steve