Re: TDE display control messes up colors on RPi with full KMS driver

Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2022 Sat, 25 Jun 22:49:46 +0200
>
>  Dr. Nikolaus Klepp scripsit:
> > Anno domini 2022 Sat, 25 Jun 16:23:33 +0200
> >
> >  Leskala via tde-users scripsit:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I'm running TDE R14.0.12 on Debian 11 (bullseye) using a Raspberry Pi
> > > 2B.
> > >
> > > With the Debian 11 (bullseye) release of the Raspberry Pi OS, the RPi
> > > offers 2 display drivers: "vc4-kms-v3d" (full KMS) and "vc4-fkms-v3d"
> > > (fake KMS). Till Debian 10 the fake one was default, now it is the full
> > > KMS and the fake KMS driver is supposed to be no longer actively
> > > supported (though it can still be switched to).
> > >
> > > The new default driver (full KMS) poses new issues with the display
> > > handling of TDE in terms of color (or gamma) management. As soon as
> > > TDE's display management is used, the colors get all weird like the
> > > whole screen gets rainbow-colored with very low color depth.
> > >
> > > Here's a photo I took (it doesn't show up on screenshots):
> > > https://i.imgur.com/DIaIP9m.jpeg
> > >
> > > - using xrandr or TDERandRTray to switch resolutions is fine
> > > - using the Trinity control center's "System Administration" > "Monitor
> > > & Display" > "Enable global display control" will make colors go crazy
> > > as shown in the photo
> > > - moving the "Hardware Gamma Control" sliders in the control center
> > > will alter the shades of rainbow colors but never fixes the general
> > > color distortion - using "xrandr --output HDMI-1 --gamma 1:1:1" will
> > > fix colors until reboot - when global display control is enabled, this
> > > is persistent and colors will go crazy as soon as TDM starts after
> > > bootup
> > >
> > > I'd like to keep the new (full KMS) driver since the old fkms one
> > > always had other issues were KMix's audio volumes would scale between
> > > -350% and -400% (yes, negative values) while alsamixer being at 50%,
> > > effectively preventing any working volume control in TDE since sliders
> > > start at 0. This is fixed with the full KMS driver as it handles the
> > > audio devices differently. However, with the new driver I can't make
> > > permanent adjustments to screen resolutions with TDE (only temporary
> > > with RandR) as I encounter the color bug as described above.
> > >
> > > Is there anything I can do about it? Should I file a bug somewhere?
> >
> > Create a file ~/.xinitrc, insert these 2 lines and make it executable:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > xrandr --output HDMI-1 --gamma 1:1:1
> >
> > Restart TDM, .xinitrc should be executed and set your gamma to usable
> > values.
>
> Ooops, forgot: you also need to link .xsessionrc to .xinitrc, i.e:
>
> ln -s .xsessionrc .xinitrc
>
> Nik
>
> > Nik
> >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Leskala
> > > Web mail archive available at
> > > https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinityd
> > >esktop.org
> >
> > --
> [...]

Thanks for the tip! This does fix colors after login but the problem still
occurs 1) on the TDM login screen until login and 2) as soon as any change in
the display configuration sections of the control center is applied, since
this will make colors go weird again until logout+login or the xrandr
command.
This does enable me to configure a permanent non-default resolution via the
control center though, so it's something at least.

Best regards, Leskala