Re: video sound (mysteriously) working again ?!?! maybe OT

William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> None of this makes sense to me. I am glad it's working, but sometimes I
> also like to know why, rather than thanking the Goddess and crossing my
> fingers in hopes that the same problems don't return.
>
> Anybody have a clue what happened, and why?

It is hard to say without inspecting the system before and after replacing
VLCs config file.

You could have saved the part with the output devices (pre-amp, amp etc) it
has no relevant meaning, or I do not understand which.
For example have you tested the outputs of the PC and made sure there is
indeed silence on the outputs.

I ported kplayer (kplayer-trinity) for that reason. IMO it is the most
robust and handy player. VLC is Gnome/GTK App and it became crap even
before KDE switched to v4. Now it might be better lately but the way it
works is suspicious to me (I repeat to me).

Usually what I have seen is that on the lower level there are issues around
alsa. What helped years ago was to reset the stored alsa mixer and
configurations and reboot.