Re: tde and dependency hell

On Sunday 12 June 2022 01:55:52 pm gene heskett wrote:
> I'm about done with debian-11, security is 2/3rds of the typing I am doing.
>
> So tell me please what desktop to install, that will not clash, but will
> be over rode in apt or synaptic, long enough to get trinity installed.
> I've tried, something like 29 times so far to get an install that works
> without automatically installing brltty and orca because it thinks I'm
> blind.  The secret there is unplug any serial adaptors from the usb tree
> before doing the install. But every time I do a new install, it uses a
> different UUID someplace that screws up a working install on a separate
> drive.
>
> So I'm going to strip my usb tree down to bare bones and do the 30th
> install. but I want to know what desktop I can install, that will let me
> put tde on later w/o a broken package dependency hell resulting.

Xfce should work?  Well it did in debian 10.

If you have no need for the other desktop(s), then do what Nik suggested.
Install no desktop at all.  Just install debian base/network such that you
don't install a desktop and then manually add TDE through the root command
line (which is all you'd have at that point).

It's reasonably easy, I've done it several times in the past, but it does
require you to physically print out the TDE install instructions (or have a
second computer to look at).  Well, do expect typos :( , but they're easy
enough to fix.

HTH,
Michael