Re: tde and dependency hell

On 6/12/22 15:50, Curt Howland wrote:
On Sunday 12 June 2022, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp was heard to say:
> Don't install any desktop at all, don't install Xorg. When the
> "tasksel" comes up enabel "sshd" and deselect XFCE, xorg etc.. Then
> finish the installation, reboot, add TDE repositories, install TDE
> it and in case xorg was missed install it, too. Reboot and things
> should be fine.

> Nik

It's been my experience that tde-trinity dependencies load xorg
without any problems at all.

It "just worked".

Looking forward to hearing Gene's experience this time.

Curt-

It's bad Curt.  Even with no x stuff at all, even aptitude couldn't come up with the solution, So I q'd out of it, I'm afraid of it as it has destroyed the systm and made a re-install required. Several times over the last 20 years.  OTOH, I'm so afraid of aptitude that I don't know how to run it properly.

So I gave up, and because I'm using xfce4 on 5 other machines here, had a root session of apt  install it which pulled in 434 more packages, Then startx locked up tight and I had to power cycle it to reboot, and was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by what I think was the lightdm login when it had rebooted..

And thunderbird seems to have remembered my creds at the mail server so here I am, but t-bird has yet to learn how to make local folders and sort the imap downloads into them.  Used to be the right mouse button did all that but that was 15 years ago.  Being used to xfce4, I can probably tolerate it, but would really like to have something like trinity's kmail. kde5 ain't it, poor stability and Ingo is no better at herding cats than he was 20 years ago, bugs don't get fixed.  So here I am, till I find a better email agent, suggestions welcome.

Thanks Curt, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene