Re: Find key combination for specific character under a giving keyboard layout

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 04:19:59PM +0200, Stefan Krusche wrote:
> Good Day Everyone!
>
> I wonder how I can find out which key combination prints a specific
> character, generally, I mean when the character is not printed on the
> keyboard itself.

Does TDE support the KCharSelect application?

Back in KDE 3, I would use:

Start menu > Utilities > More Applications > KCharSelect

and then copy the characters I needed.

Admittedly it was a bit lacking in features, more modern key caps
apps allow you to search for the name of a character, but for my needs
it worked well.

> Case: I want to print the symbol for TM (trade mark) but I don't know
> the keys to get it.

I presume you know that googing for the name often allows you to copy
the needed character?

https://www.startpage.com/sp/search?query=trade+mark+character

gives me ™ and leads me to the Wikipedia page, which tells me that it is
the Unicode code point U+2122 and that on Linux you can type Compose-TM
to get it. Now if only I knew what the compose key on my keyboard is :-(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_symbol#Keyboard_entry

--
Steve