Re: kmail "use this email address for answers" broken?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
>Anno domini 2022 Thu, 14 Apr 13:18:47 -0700
> William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
>>
>> .... but I have got spammed from people that I know very well, and
>> they had no idea that their account was being misused by somebody
>> else for spam.

I think you mean you receive emails from forged email accounts.
Crackers gather addressbooks from account they crack into at AOL, Yahoo,
etc., and then sell or rent the cracked account's local-parta and domain
email address along with all that was in the addressbook to spammers.
(-: Is the Millions CD even a 'thing' anymore? :-)

I see such forged email 'from' my fool brother-in-law (still using AOL)
frequently.  A simile inspection of the headers would show the email
never passed through any AOL servers.  His Windows Pee-Cee is cracked
on a somewhat frequent schedule.  sigh....

>> So it is possible that emails get sent out using our email
>> addresses, and it has nothing to do with what we ourselves do.
>
>Oh, that kind of spam is still around?

Most assuredly.  My email account is a wild-card email account.
I see incoming email directed to all sorts of local-part names.
I've come to believe quite a few local-name 'fabrications" come from
folks that want to sign up at a website, at a conference, at a retail
store for some reason but do not wish to give out their real email addy.
And, too, I see local-part construction from just dragging a finger
randomly across the keyboard.

My ISP uses my spam folder as input to his system-wide spamassassin
filtering.  He finds it quite useful.  :-)

Be safe out there,
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones     | Marvin     | W3DHJ  | linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @         | Jonesy |  FreeBSD __