Re: Umlauts fixed! Was: lost double quote mark

On Sunday 10 April 2022 15:17:49 nemo wrote:

> users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I wrote the above in February and got some tips about restoring Umlauts (or
> as I am proud to say now Umläute) but to no avail. (But thanks, Bill, and
> others!)
>
> I tried through the Trinity Control Center -- after all, things had worked
> that way from the first installation -- but no joy (using a Q4os blend of
> TDE).
>
> Frustrating. Plus I had problems with double quotes and single quotes but
> solved them, not sure how, mainly restoring a setting that worked before.
>
> But months of 'ae' and 'ue' and 'oe'! dispiriting.
>
> Decided to dive under the gui. edited /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us and
> dumped some key codes (diaeresis markers added to a, u and o), restarted
> the session and after a couple of mistrials and adjustments the Umläute are
> back!
>
> I would like to change the compose key but haven't found the incantation
> yet.
>
> Anyway, the trick was to dump the following into
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us:
> key <AD07> { [ u, U, udiaeresis, Udiaeresis ] };
> key <AD09> { [ o, O, odiaeresis, Odiaeresis ] };
> key <AC01> { [ a, A, adiaeresis, Adiaeresis ] };
> key <AC02> { [ s, S, U00DF, NoSymbol ] };

So, let me get this straight ...

What started as a joke (i.e., use a diaeresis instead of an umlaut) actually
turned out to be correct? How weird is that?!

> how does the 'us' file determine the compose key, or is that set through
> the Control Center? it must be possible to set it here instead.

us, meaning US for locale?

> in my case the 'us' file set for:
>
> xkb_symbols "basic" {
>
> name[Group1] = "English (US)";
>
> I have not played with .xmodmap.
>
> Felmon

Didn't think of xkb, but that makes sense.

The problem with single and double quotes has me stumped, but I don't use your
keyboard setup.

I doubt that this could be an issue; however, I did have some problems getting
Q4OS to work as I wanted. In particular, as I recall, I could not set my
password using "special characters" -- although I imagine it was possible to
change that later, if I had got more into it. It is one of those kinds of
snags that happen more often with preconfigured stuff, such as Q4OS. I didn't
stay long with Q4OS, but went straight for Debian and then Devuan.

Just throwing it out there for consideration.

Bill