Re: lost double quote mark

On Saturday 12 February 2022 03:42:45 Felmon Davis wrote:

> > Looking in this folder:
> > /home/~/.trinity/share/config/
> > most likely candidates seem to be:
> >
> > kxkbrc
> > kkbswitchrc
> > khotkeysrc
> > kglobalshortcutsrc
> > kdeglobals
>
> thank you for doing my research for me! this is very helpful as also
>
> the tips below:
> > Some of these, on my system, have no backup versions; others have several
> > backups from when things got changed.
> >
> >> will search for the proper config files. got another laptop here, may
> >> have to switch to it as I´m on the road and lack time also for
> >> tinkering.
> >
> > If you have Trinity installed on the laptop, then a brute force option
> > would be just to copy your configuration files to the other system. But
> > that seems too much like using a hammer to make minor fine-tuning
> > adjustments; you might only mess things up more.
>
> I think I might tinker and pull over just those config files. the
> other laptop is running TDE.
>
> > We ought to have asked this question at the start, but better late than
> > never: Do you experience this problem system-wide, or only with certain
> > programs? e.g., your usual keystrokes work okay to create umlauts in text
> > files, etc., but not in your Office program? What comes through in your
> > email is messy, but that could be on my end. (I get a lot of ? characters
> >  in your emails; and just by pasting that in, my keyboard behaves now
> > like I am typing in Hebrew, right to left.)
>
> I thought I had checked this out but realize I had only FN-ed to a
> full-screen terminal window. there the problem is present too.
>
> but now in OpenOffice I see I have the double quotes. when I do a
> single quote it first quickly produces ´ but then becomes a regular
> single quote. the ´compose key´ produces á, ú, etc, no Umlauts.
>
> there is clearly something going on in the terminals. I use Console
> also for these mails (using Alpine); the accented vowels show up in
> Gmail (under Brave Browser). I am not sure what the full-screen
> terminal is called.
>
> > Happy hunting!
>
> soon. gotta do some work right now though!
>
> this has been a help though as it helps localized problems.
>
> but I think I´ll just pull over the configs from the other laptop -
> two laptops are on my desk, an Asus (problem child) and an Acer which
> I will use as source of configs.
>
> f.

Make sure that you back up whatever are your current config files!

Elementary, of course, but that is what we always forget ... especially if we
are in haste to get back to our more important work. These computer things
are a nuisance. I am gradually returning to writing out longhand for most
stuff, and only then transferring to digital files.

Bill