Re: Modify a remote file

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022, ajh-valmer wrote:

>On Sunday 20 March 2022 23:35:27 Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:53:47PM +0100, ajh-valmer wrote:
>> > When I modify a remote PHP file on my server,
>> > it is modified directly on the server.
>> > If the file is a TXT, JSP file, no, it is dowloaded on my computer,
>> > under a tmp folder, and I have to upload it to the server.
>> > Why ?
>
>On Sunday 20 March 2022 23:50:27 deloptes wrote:
>> AFAIK it is always downloaded as there is no way to modify it directly on
>> the server and a PHP file is downloaded the same way.
>> But explain what you are doing step by step.
>> How do you connect to the server? How do you modify the file?
>> And how do you modify those files?
>
>Hello,
>
>I use sftp://<server-address> with Konqueror.
>I open the files :  .TXT .JSP .PHP... with kedit.
>Thoses files are text, even if the extension is not txt.
>
>Only the .php files are directly amended under :
>sftp://<server-address>/folder
>
>The others (.jsp , .txt) are first dowloaded on :
>/var/tmp/tde-cache-andre...
>I make corrections, and I have to upload them
>so that it is registered on the server.
>It takes more time than the .php files.
>
>Thanks, cheers,
>Andre

Strange.
That is _exactly_ the way I edit/delete/move/rename my remote files.
I use konqueror with two split windows (window => split left/right)
with (usually) my local directory in the left pane and my remote
directory in the right pane.

I just checked -- editing a no-extension bash script with kwrite and I
do not see what you are reporting.  I did a trivial change in a comment
in a bash script and saved it.  The result was the 'new' bash_script
and the bash_script~ backup that kwrite always leaves behind.

While the remote file is open in konqueror, I have _no_
/var/tmp/tde-cache-jonesy

I dunno what to suggest....

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones     | Marvin     | W3DHJ  | linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @         | Jonesy |  FreeBSD __