Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 8:43:25 AM EST William Morder via tde-users
wrote:
> > I recently installed Devuan Chimaera on my main machine. I did not
> > have time to re-install everything I need for everyday life and will
> > probably have to wait until summer for this, but so far and as far
> > as browsing and Libre Office are concerned everythin is working.
> >
> > The machine is a three years old tower with AMD Ryzen and Intel
> > Graphics, no nothing fancy.
> >
> > Thierry
>
> Okay, so like I said to Nik, I don't know how "fresh" is your
> installation. Mine is within the past few days. But at least it gives
> me something for comparison. For this comparison to be more exact, it
> would have to be a reinstallation or at least an upgrade within the
> past few days. (This started maybe the 23rd, the day after that robot
> cartoon that I sent; which I say because I was using Icecat when I
> originally happened on that page at the New Yorker site.) Today is the
> 27th; so about the 23rd until now is what I mean by a "fresh"
> installation.
>
> My machine (description taken from manufacturer's site) is this:
> Lenovo Ideapad 3 15 15.6_ Laptop AMD Ryzen 3 8GB Memory 128GB SSD
>
> I had thought it came with a 250 GB SSD by default; somewhere I have
> the original. Anyway, I took out the factory SSD and put in a new 2 TB
> SSD, one of those newer ones, SSD2 or whatever they are called. They
> look very different from the first run of SSDs.
>
> For the record, as I stated before, I had voided my warranty within the
> first day or so, once I had my new SSD. I fiddled around with trying
> to install Whonix, but that proved a bit too complicated for now.
>
> Within the first few days, I had it up and running tolerably well, and
> since then it had only ever improved. Up until a few days ago, things
> were working well, and I had not really changed much of anything.
> LibreOffice worked, but it's the GUI interface that hurts my eyes and
> makes it hard to work. OpenOffice installs, but crashes or doesn't
> launch. When I go back to LibreOffice, sometimes that give me a
> problem. But in general, Office programs are not the problem here,
> because I haven't had either one installed while I've had these recent
> issues.
>
> I did an upgrade, nothing was added. Shortly thereafter, a few of my
> programs started acting weird, such as text editors. So I eventually
> decided to reinstall my OS, but though to take out non-free and
> contrib from my repos before reinstallation. After reinstallation,
> same procedures and programs added as usual, I immediately began to
> have problems with those browsers mentioned earlier (most "modern" or
> "mainstream" browsers such as firefox, icecat, etc., but also
> seamonkey, midori, chromium, epiphany, etc.); only palemoon and links2
> are dependable running in the TDE desktop.
>
> To test whether my changes in repositories had any effect, I put
> non-free and contrib back in, did another upgrade, another
> [...]

I'm with Bill on this one. This is pretty much a default install of
bullseye, on a 6 core i5 with 32 gigs of dram, I do some design work for
my 3d printer using OpenSCAD, and have had to give OpenSCAD access to
over 20 gigs to get some renders done. System storage is a 500GB SSD, and
/home and swap are on a 2T raid10, made up from 4, 1T SSD's. My gfx stuff
runs from AppImages because the distro copies are over a year old and way
out of date, the current OpenSCAD AppImage is nearly 20x faster than the
distro copy from Jan 2021. Development activity is a new AppImage a week!

But while I'd love to put things back on TDE, bullseye and apt refuse to
install more than 2 pieces of TDE without going into an endless loop of
broken packages that is stopped only by forcibly removeing that which I
have tried to install. Couple that with the inability to reboot w/o doing
a re-install, which I've now done about 20 damned times, because
someplace in my USB tree, there's at least one, and probably more, FDTI
usb to serial adaptors that the installer THINKS is a Braille driver, so
it, without asking, installs brltty and orca, the speech enabled screen
reader no one can understand. And it, if you remove the stuff after the
install is done, will NOT reboot past the 10 second mark in the boot log
cuz its stuck looking for that crap and can't find it.

Very damned distracting when its trying to pronounce every key you type
and no one knows how to remove it without filling the boot drive with
 /var/log/syslog until the system is unusable because of the lags imposed
by opening the log when its 50+ megabytes 18 hours after the install,
search for the end of it, writing 9 or 10 more lines of error messages
and closing the log, for every keystroke typed.

The only fix I've found that lets my machine stay up for a few days,
(uptime is 7+ days atm) is to find the .conf files in /etc, and direct
all that error output to /dev/null. That leaves one line of errors still
going to syslog about every 20 seconds as something in systemd.d keeps
looking for the speech dispatcher over blue tooth, and there isn't any of
that except the keyboad and mouse.

So I'm stuck on a plasma desktop thats as buggy as a 6 day old road kill
in August. Northern hemisphere summer of course. ;o) Typical of KDE, they
get an idea for eye candy but never finish squishing the bugs. 3 or 4 of
the desktop backgrounds have a nice analog clock, but no background image
is loaded and the clock may be up to several hours out of time with
gkrellms excellent digital clock. It only tries to update if you wave the
mouse over it. What the hell good is a clock thats frozen in time 99% of
the time?  Its purty, but it does not work. Right now its stuck at
10:44:35, while gkrellm says its 10:49:19.

You may take it that I'm upset. But I'll keep on lurking in case a fix
shows up.

Thanks for reading my vitriolic spew.

Take care and stay well everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.