Re: I'M BAAAACK! - vanishing menu items

On Thursday 03 February 2022 00:19:16 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

>  J Leslie Turriff scripsit:

Just noticed this comment, so my apologies for the late response.

I also had the "compress" option disappear from the menu, but then it was
restored when I upgraded to Devuan Chimaera (= Debian Bullseye). I wondered
where it went, and once I even complained about the "move to" and "copy to"
features having also disappeared. But I got no response, so I thought maybe
it was just a choice of developers, due to security concerns or instability
or whatnot.

Now it makes me wonder if there might be some other cause: for example, I tend
to use the main repositories early in the development cycle, then gradually
move up to PSBs and usually move on to PTBs repos when it gets later in the
cycle. (Somewhere I read, concerning TDE, that the PSB and PTB were better as
it got near the time for upgrading to the new stable releases.)

Thus it occurs to me that maybe this is due to some glitch in that process? I
generally just upgrade existing packages, and as for new versions of old
packages, I am an habitual packrat, and keep EVERYTHING, just in case I need
to reinstall without access to internet.

Unless a package has become obsolete, it ought to get installed, regardless,
because I generally use dpkg to install from folders of saved packages. When
I reinstall by downloading packages, I keep lists of what to download, and in
what order (e.g., firewall + deps, text editors +, browsers +, keyrings,
etc.); I try hard to keep my system the same, because when it comes to
machines, I don't like new experiences.

The question is, then, Why would those features disappear, then reappear, if I
always follow the same routines in installation, and always install plugins
for Konqueror, and so on?

Sorry for the in-depth analysis of what might be a minor glitch, or a mistake
on my part. However, as my own experience (of losing the features
of "compress", "move to" and "copy to" sound similar to Leslie's description,
and moreover, were part of the original question that started this part of
the thread, maybe it is relevant, after all.

Please feel free to trim, or to start a new thread, if appropriate.

Bill