Re: Chromium and Chrome-google unmanageable

E. Liddell composed on 2022-01-23 10:40 (UTC-0500):

> ...the video driver is the most likely to be responsible.

Do we know which driver "the" would be?

> I'd recommend the nvidia proprietary driver over nouveau in this case,
> because nouveau is reverse-engineered and doesn't always handle all
> the capabilities of every card correctly.

There is no "the" nouveau driver. There is:

1-nouveau kernel device driver (module), which ships with each kernel.

2-nouveau DDX display driver for X, upstream provided by xf86-video-nouveau,
provided in Debian by xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

#2 is reverse-engineered, and optional. The upstream default display driver,
modesetting DIX, is not reverse-engineered, is newer technology, like the nouveau
DDX depends on the nouveau kernel driver, is FOSS, and is the display driver I use
on all of my NVidia GPUs. Ordinary users don't all need the edge-case capabilities
that FOSS doesn't support.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata