	Can anyone explain why using Kmail's "Reply to Author" sends the reply to its mailing
list instead?  (I'm guessing it's a "feature" of the mailing list software.)

Leslie
--- Begin Message --- Hi,

Apologies if this has been posted twice - my first attempt appears to have failed so I'm reposting

I have written a small OORexx class that can be used to convert units between imperial and metric (and back again), plus a few others.

It will do Troy measures, minas/shekels/talents (weights only, not currency), can convert between old English pounds, shillings and pence (LSD) and decimal currency (Australia only, but should work for others).  It also converts astronomical distances (to metres, cubits, whatever you want).  Weights and volumes are interchangable (using water as the standard).

I wrote it for my own use but will consider extending its capabilities if others request (and I have time and skills to implement).

I will also have a couple of others to drop, but they are not complete yet and I was hoping any feedback from the group may steer me away from any problems with this smaller, simpler class before I screw up the next ones LOL.

I wrote this under 4.2 (I actually thought I had upgraded to 5 a year or two back, but I must have been hallucinating).  I'll do that soon.

The class is also all methods, no real objects.  I'm just using the object's class to supply the bundle of methods.  The only persistence (held in the object) is the Numeric Digits setting (defaults to 18 but can be set higher).  It really doesn't like scientific notation, so I try to avoid it.  Some numbers can be huge, but in view of recent discussions, I've just left it to the programmer to do formatting (or "chunking") themselves.  Exceptions apply like when formatting pounds, shillings and pence to L.S.D form (that's not a reference to Hoffman, but the official symbol used at the time).

I have also been adding an "About" method to any classes I write - this can provide (first and foremost) the version number, but also contains basic information like date written, author and a description.

The docs I provided have no cover page (yet), I didn't want to include the OORexx logo and any refs without speaking to the group about splatting that big, coloured double O right at the start.

This was written to help me process archived GDP data for Australia from its inception (OZ became a nation 1901-01-01).  The first national stats came out in 1915, but everything is in tons, bushells and LSD, which makes it impossible to build a normalised dataset without converting units first.

Whilst I hope it is pretty solid, please report any bugs to me (probably best to do so directly, rather than clutter the feed).  I got sloppy and wrote the manual after the code, rather than in parallel, so there is some risk the docs may have missed things.  Feedback please if so.

So, if you ever wanted to know how many light years it took Hans Solo to do the Kessel run (he boasted 12 parsecs), have at it!!  You could also work it out in cubits if desired :)

This is the first (hopefully) of a few classes that might make OORexx more attractive to new programmers.  It concerns me that such a brilliant language like OORexx (and the whole family) have been largely ignored by the programming community  - notably scientists and academics.  It's a bit better now, but it seems unless you have some mainframe IBM background, you just don't use it :(

Just as Chip said "don't get me started on dates", I feel similar towards Python (maybe I could call a compatability class Elapid - they eat pythons for breakfast!!!).

Cheers, enjoy (and all comments welcome)
Peter McKellar

PS.  Trivial question.  I Call or Invoke programs, functions and subroutines.  I instantiate an Object.  Do I "invoke" a Method?

The zip includes the class, samples and docs

Attachments:

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#149) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic