Block internet access to software

On Sunday 09 January 2022 10:35:55 am William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> [Whatever Software] now collects and
> shares our data. Even though it is used almost entirely offline, requires
> no connection for actual users working at home.

Link:
https://serverfault.com/questions/550276/how-to-block-internet-access-to-certain-programs-on-linux

I had an issue with the instructions in the above link.  Including my
(programmer pidgin) notes as well, which should allow you to just
find/replace michael for your username.

Best,
Michael

Block internet access

:As root:
iptables -L
cat /etc/group
groupadd nointernet
cat /etc/group
usermod -a -G nointernet michael

ll /usr/bin/no*
nano /usr/bin/nointernet
chmod +x /usr/bin/nointernet
ll /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
nano /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule
ll /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule
chmod +x /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule
ll /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule
ll /usr/bin/no*
cat /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule
/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule

# cat /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_nointernet_rule
#!/bin/bash
# iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --gid-owner nointernet -j DROP
iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -m owner --gid-owner nointernet -j DROP

# cat /usr/bin/nointernet
#!/bin/bash
COMMAND="$1"
shift
for arg; do
COMMAND="$COMMAND \"$arg\""
done
sg nointernet "$COMMAND"

:Menu Entry
nointernet smplayer %U

Notes:
NAME
       sg - execute command as different group ID

SYNOPSIS
       sg [-] [group [-c ] command]

DESCRIPTION
       The sg command works similar to newgrp but accepts a command. The
command will be executed with the /bin/sh shell. With most shells you may run
sg from, you need to enclose multi-word commands in quotes. Another
difference between newgrp and sg is that some shells treat newgrp specially,
replacing themselves with a new instance of a shell that newgrp creates. This
doesn't happen with sg, so upon exit from a sg command you are returned to
your previous group ID.