Re: [trinity-users] dual monitor

On Friday, 3. December 2021, Christian Schmitz wrote:
> Hi everyone:
> 	I am trying to setup 2 monitors. The hardware is:
> AMD chipset, ATI video card
> screen 3 Vga monitor 20" ( 1600x900 )
> screen 2 DVI-I to adapter to Vga monitor 14" ( 1024x768)
>
> I can use display and rotation to the following setup:
> screen3 main monitor
> screen2 extended desktop
>
> But i have 2 problems and question
> 1) every boot the screen are cloned and not extended.
> How i can do to store permanently the extended configuration?
>
> 2) when the screen are cloned i see well into screen 2, but when i switch to
> extended the screen 2 the color are degraded like old 16 ega.
> How fix it?
>
> Best Regards
> Christian

Hi Christian,

I had similar problems on Intel IGP's. Switching with xrand results in a colormap error on the second screen.
One possibility is to set the resolutions in administrator mode as default profile.
But as this leads to other problems, if you login on different machines wit the same account or if you use openGL....
So now I setup the display geometry in a xorg.conf.d file.
The attached sample is located in the folder /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder. For AMD graphic, you will have to change the driver name in the Device Section and you have to find out the names of your graphics ports for this driver.
With the file, you can setup the placement of the monitors 'Option "LeftOf" "Primary Monitor" ' and if the automatic selection of the resolution fails, you can set the wanted resolution with 'Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200" '.

Best
Stef

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Primary Monitor"
    Option "Position" "0 0"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
    Option "Primary" "true"
    DisplaySize 1920 1200
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Secondary Monitor"
    Option "LeftOf" "Primary Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device0"
Driver "intel"
Option "monitor-VGA1" "Primary Monitor"
Option "monitor-HDMI1" "Secondary Monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "StandbyTime" "1"
    Option "SuspendTime" "1"