OT - installing whonix / qubes ?

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I believe it was Mike, Michael, somebody
here on the list, who recommended I try out Whonix.

I did give it a brief try a few years ago, but don't remember much. Now,
however, I have at last acquired a half-decent machine, 64-bit (Lenovo
Ideapad 3 15.6" laptop), able to do the job. I hope I chose well.

If I recall, one OS runs inside the other in a virtual machine ...? something
like that. Anyway, if anybody can point me in the right direction, give me a
few tips, then I think I'll be good to go. I've already managed to move
through several different types of Linux distros, so I just need some advice
for Whonix beginners.

Already downloaded Qubes and Whonix iso images, in both Buster and Chimaera
versions.

Please feel free to write to my private email, so we don't clutter the list
with my off-topic pursuits. ;-)

Thanks for any help!

Bill