Re: Cannot open kwickshow and gwenview

On Sun November 21 2021 04:09:13 Ken Heard wrote:
> > Please run "apt update" and then tell me the output of
> > "apt-cache policy" and of "apt --dry-run upgrade" and of
> > "dpkg -l | grep gwenview".
>
> The outlets of these three commands are respectively saved in attached
> files policy.txt, dry-run.txt and gwenview.txt.

Hi Ken,

As Slávek noted, you don't have TDE gwenview.  Your gwenview
is the KDE version from Bullseye.  What is odd though is that
it uses package libpng16-16, not the old Wheezy package that
would have contained the missing library libpng12.so.0.

It's not easy to get Debian into an inconsistent state like
this, and getting it out is not easy either.  It could easily
take me half a day hands-on - or a couple of months if we were
to try to figure it out by emailing back and forth (not
recommended).

Did you --force anything with dpkg or apt?  Or skip a version?
There's a bug in usrmerge which can lose files but I don't think
it would hit this particular file.

Some possibilities to consider trying:

# apt install --reinstall gwenview # to maybe fix broken KDE
# find / -name '*libpng12*' # and investigate any hits
# dpkg -S libpng12 # and investigate any hits
# apt install tde-trinity # to make sure TDE is installed
# wipe and reinstall # but first save whatever needs saving

--Mike