Re: email mess - maybe OT or not

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 03:48:15AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> edited here
> <202110191841.19683.doctor_contendo@xxxxxxxx>  <ditto
> <20211020063300.GA7456@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  <ditto
> to here as there are no newlines in the above.

The References header shows a full list of the IDs of each email in the
thread. So if there is a thread:

    Alice emails message id 123
    Bob replies to Alice's email, with his message id 456.
    Charlie replies to Bob's email, and his message id is 789.
    And Alice replies to Charlie, with her message id 987.

Then the References header will say:

Except of course the IDs are not three digit numbers, they look more
like 20211020051234.ABCDEF@xxxxxxxxxx. Here is your message id from the
email I am replying to:

The message id is generated (I think) when you send the email.

The References header is used to help mail clients find the right place
to display an email in threaded view, even if you change the subject
line.

The In-Reply-To header shows the id of the email you actually hit "Reply
To" (or "Reply All"). That's why if you hit Reply to an email, then
change the subject line, your email client can usually still work out
where to display it.

Going back to the original References list, we have three in the chain
to that point:

    <201802171815.09906.gheskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>

That is the mystery reference ID that appeared in William's first post.
It shouldn't appear there, because he wasn't replying to anyone, he was
starting a new email from scratch.

    <202110191841.19683.doctor_contendo@xxxxxxxx>

That is the message id of William's first post.

    <20211020063300.GA7456@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

And that is the message id of my reply to William's post.

Going back to the mystery ID 2018... there is no good reason why it
should be there, or why it refers to your email address. It should not
be there! That is one of the reasons why I think William's mail is
broken.

One possibility is that William clicked on a message from you,
dated all the way back to 2018, hit "Reply All", changed the subject
line, adjusted the To address to go to the list, and then wrote a
fresh email and sent it.

Another possibility is that William has some sort of filter or automated
system to configure his email. I see he has an Xface header set, I
believe he also configured his email to use a different email address
depending on the recipients. (I think.)

So it is possible that something has gone wrong with his filter or
email script. William, can you check that?

Otherwise, I've run out of ideas.

> Here is a puzzle though:
>
> gene@coyote:~$ locate kmailrc
> /home/gene/.trinity/share/config/kmailrc
>
> looking thru it with geany, I see two potentiial buffer overflows, the
> last, 5088th line is 2415 chars long. in the title [test-index],removed=
> long list of comma seperated 7 digit numbers.

There is nothing in your kmailrc that could be affecting William's
posts.

I would be horrified to learn that a mere 2415 characters could cause a
buffer overflow in kmail. I really hope that is not true. Normally,
buffer overflows occur around the boundary of 2^15, 2^16, 2^31 or 2^32.

2^15 is 32768, so a mere 2415 isn't even close. If it was thirty
thousand or more, I might start to get concerned. But hopefully Kmail
has no buffer overflows.

(Buffer overflows are not a law of physics, they are a consequence of
how the code is programmed.)

--
Steve