Re: email mess - maybe OT or not

On Wednesday 20 October 2021 01:11:43 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2021 03:49:47 Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > > Yes, person A's (that is, Gene's) address shows up in the headers of
> > > somebody else altogether. When person B sends me an email (not a
> > > reply), I also get Gene's address in the headers.
> >
> > Yes, but *which* header?
> >
> > There is a huge difference between:
> >
> > "Person B sends me a fresh email, but the From address says Gene"
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Person B replies to my email, and when I use Show Headers, I see that
> > one of the In-Reply-To or Reference headers says Gene."
> >
> > These are very different symptoms with probably very different causes
> > and fixes.

It is listed after References:

Oct 2021 22:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

Then there follows from:

From: person B <some_email@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:15:57 +0700
Message-ID:> >

You will note that I cut out person B's details.
This is from the original email that got my attention, sent to me by person B
(not a member of the list). Since then I have got some others, both from
person B and when I send to and receive from the list.

> I think the In-Reply-To: and References: are two different critters. The
> refer to our resubscribe date. I haven't a clue what or why that might
> be worth including in a reply-to-list/all. Boggles my getting tinier
> mind. Maybe I should up the B1 in my weekly pill-tainer? :)
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.

The fact that both Gene and I resubscribed on that date seems significant,
though I don't see how it can relate to person B.

However ... sigh ... it occurs to me that person B has lived in several
places, but is originally from India. And the TDE mailing has been getting
spammed now and then by somebody that seems to be from India. Again, I am
quite sure that she has better things to do, but maybe somebody linked her
emails to me, and my emails to the TDE list?

Bill