Re: email mess - maybe OT or not

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 11:58:40PM -0700, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> > Which headers? Are you talking about person A's address showing up as
> > the From address of person B's emails? Or some other header?
>
> Yes, person A's (that is, Gene's) address shows up in the headers of somebody
> else altogether. When person B sends me an email (not a reply), I also get
> Gene's address in the headers.

Yes, but *which* header?

There is a huge difference between:

"Person B sends me a fresh email, but the From address says Gene"

and

"Person B replies to my email, and when I use Show Headers, I see that
one of the In-Reply-To or Reference headers says Gene."

These are very different symptoms with probably very different causes
and fixes.

> Person B doesn't know Gene at all, doesn't know about TDE or the list, and
> knows hardly anything about computers, hence uses the rotten Apple and
> sometimes Windoze.

So you've said :-) but it's not really relevant unless it is a problem
with their mail client. It probably isn't.

> >     201802171815.09906.gheskett@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > which seems to be an email from 2018.
>
> I did search for this email, and it seems not to exist at all; indeed, never
> existed, I believe, because I save *almost* everything, except spam and other
> crap like that.

I don't know enough about how Kmail generates the In-Reply-To and
Reference headers to comment.

--
Steve