Re: email mess - maybe OT or not

On Tuesday 19 October 2021 21:41:17 William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> There is a recurring glitch in my emails, which involves another
> person (person A) here on the mailing list. (I don't name him here,
> but I have already contacted him to ask about it.) It involves the
> mailing list, maybe, because I only know him from the list, and we
> have only exchanged a couple of personal emails outside the list.
>
> Now here is the actual "problem": I have another friend (person B) who
> is not a member of the list. When she recently sent me an email from
> her phone, the private email address of this first person (person A, a
> member of the list) showed up in her (person B's) email headers. There
> is absolutely no other connection between these two persons, except of
> course for myself.
>
> I went through other email correspondents, to see if something similar
> was happening, but it only seems to be with these two people. I
> created an entirely new email (no metadata from replies, etc.) to send
> her (person B) something, and again I found person A's headers in this
> email that I sent.
>
> So it doesn't seem to matter if person B or myself initiate the email;
> the headers from person A (who is a member of this list) always show
> up in the headers.
>
> Sorry for the vague description, but I am taking pains to avoid
> mentioning names. If person A (member of the list) chooses to join the
> conversation, then I can speak a little more freely. And let me make
> it clear that I do not suspect either of these people of anything at
> all, as they both seem as clueless as myself about these matters.
>
> Can anybody offer an explanation for this email quirk? I bring my
> question here, because it involves somebody else who is a member of
> the list, so that it might be a concern for other members of the list,
> and of course for the moderators, Slavek, et al.
>
> I would be glad to offer a sample of the headers, but I also need to
> consider the other persons involved.
>
> Bill

I am person A.  And I'm as puzzled as Bill. Person B, whom I've never
heard of, is halfway around this ball of rock and water. Yet my email
addy is in the References: header line coming from Persn B's phone. An
Android phone I believe.

A new method of broadcasting spam recipient addy's? My incoming spam
level has increased, but not enough to point fingers. Spamassassin nails
95% of its anyway.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis